Let instructors review submissions made by students. This activity is a quick way for instructors to provide feedback directly to student submissions.
🧐 How it works
There are different ways to use the instructor review activity.
- Give feedback to the submitted work of students
- Give an instructor review to a student even if they did not submit any work (e.g. give feedback on skills or a live presentation).
The instructor review can be followed up with a feedback reflection activity where students can see their feedback and can be asked to reflect on it.
The activity will complete when students have received feedback from an instructor.
🏗 How to set it up
- To add a new instructor review activity to your course, select 'add activities & flows'.
- Select the toggle that says 'show advanced activities & flows'.
- Alternatively, you can also add our instructor review flow to your course, this is the quickest way to add a complete learning flow to your course. This flow consists of a submission, instructor review, and feedback reflection activity.
- Give your instructor review activity a title and a description.
- We generally recommend to hide the instructor review activity from students - because they don't need to take any action here. So in this case the title and description will only be visible by you and other instructors in the course.
- Make sure to specify the right submission activity as source for the instructor review activity. You will review the work of this submission activity.
- Under instructor review settings you can decide if instructors should be allowed to review students that don't have a submission in the submission activity.
- Under feedback rubric you can edit the rubric that is used for giving the reviews. You can read more about feedback rubrics here.
- If you want your students to see and reflect on their received feedback, make sure to connect a feedback reflection activity to the instructor review activity.
- To learn more about the different set-up options you can find in the settings tab of the instructor review activity, please have a look at this article here.
💬 Common questions about the instructor review activity
- Where do my students see the feedback I gave them?
Students can find the feedback they received from you in a reflection activity. If the instructor review does not connect to a reflection activity, students won't be able to see their received feedback. But don't worry, you can add the reflection activity at any time! Read more about the reflection activity here.
- My students already submitted. Can I still give them feedback?
Definitely! You can add the instructor review activity to your course at any time.
In the video below we show you how you can add an instructor review + reflection activity into an already existing peer review workflow. We generally recommend to hide the instructor review activity from students, since they don't need to take any action in this activity themselves.
- How does subsets work for instructor review?
You can open up the instructor review activity for only a subset of your students (read more about subsetting here). This means that only the students who are assigned to the instructor review activity will be able to receive instructor feedback. We recommend to use the same subset rules for the feedback reflection activity that is connected to the instructor review. This makes sure that only the students who received instructor feedback are able to interact with the feedback reflection activity.
- How do prerequisites work for instructor review?
If students need to fulfil certain requirements (prerequisites) before they should receive an instructor review, you can set up the instructor review activity with prerequisites. With the help of prerequisites you can select which activity students have to complete first before they are able to receive feedback from instructors.
- How do deadlines work for instructor review?
Generally we recommend to hide the instructor review activity, since students don't need to take any action in this activity. For that same reason, adding open dates or deadlines to the instructor review activity is not per se necessary. Of course, if you want to show your students that they will be receiving feedback from you, you can decide to make the instructor review activity visible. Simply add an open date plus deadline if you are planning to give feedback in a certain time frame.
- Can I publish my instructor feedback for all students at the same time?
If you want all students to be able to see their feedback at the same day and/or time, just add an open date to the reflection activity. On the open date of the reflection activity, all students (who fulfilled prior requirements) are able to reflect on their feedback at the same time. If you also add a deadline students are able to reflect on their received feedback until the deadline has passed.
- Is the feedback from instructors anonymous?
No, feedback from instructors is not anonymous. Students will be able to see the first name of the instructors (that they are registered with in Eduflow).